Featured on Bond Twenty: It’s not always easy to balance the obligations that come with adult life. Between the demands of starting a career, having a long-term relationship, and children, where do you start to find time for yourself? For your dreams? For your sanity?
I may not be an expert in the field, a life coach, or a role model, but I have spent all my time since I was twenty-two raising a child, working full time, pursuing higher education, and dreaming BIG next to the love of my life. People ask me all the time, how do you do it?
I don’t have a genie in a bottle, but I sure wish I did. So I ask myself, how do I do it? There’s really only one answer. Self-care. I take time for myself, because when I’m happy, my family is happy. The well is full. So here’s my list of things you can do to boost your self-care routine in 2016! Oh, and I’ve thrown in a fun little work-wear inspired fashion idea.
- Have a positive outlook-First and foremost, you must have a positive outlook. As the old saying goes, a good morning turns into a good day, a good day turns into a good week, a good week turns into a good month and so on. If you put out the positive vibes, people will send them back!
- Take care of your body-You can’t take care of anything, let alone your grown-up responsibilities, when you’re not feeling your best. So taking care of your body is also at the tippy top of the list! My absolute-must-take-care-of-myself daily activities include flossing, drinking plenty of water (I make it my job to drink water), eating a healthy diet, washing my hands after every possible germmy activity, getting 8 + hours of sleep every night, and exercising. Yes I know, the dreaded exercising. I put on my tight yoga pants and cute tanks and get my sporty sweat on. Feel the burn. It feels good.
- Pamper yourself-It is so important to take time for yourself, and to keep up with the things that make you feel good about yourself. Looks certainly aren’t everything, but that doesn’t change the fact that I love the way it feels to have paint on my nails and curls in my hair; and to wear a killer shade of lipstick and a fancy pair of high heels. Just because I work like a horse doesn’t mean I have to look like one! 🙂 One of my tricks is to find relaxation in my everyday chores, like washing my face and putting on lotion. I just make a point to breathe a little deeper and relish a few extra minutes to myself. My 2016 pamper-me goals are to dress up more and wear more lipstick. (Challenge accepted!)
- Have a strong support network-Sometimes all I need is a break, a night off, a few hours alone, a date, or a movie without interruptions. This is where the strong support network saves the day! Having our parents nearby means our kids can have sleepovers and play dates, and mommy and daddy can have some much needed alone time!! This is also extremely important when I’m feeling stressed, or when I need some encouragement, my people are there for me.
- Love yourself-Last but certainly not least, you cannot love anyone else if you do not love yourself. Sometimes when I’m alone, I’ll just say out loud the things I like about myself. I know I end up looking like a total weirdo, driving around laughing and talking to myself. But I’m happy. I love myself. Sure, there are things about myself that I would change if I had a magic wand. But at the end of the day, I am who I am and I’m working on being my best self.
I don’t have it all figured out by any means, and sometimes I have to make a conscious effort to stop, and refocus. As much as my kids might be the cause of the chaos, they’re the inspiration for almost everything I do.
Shop This Look
Skirt: Forever 21
Tank: Forever 21
Shoes: Forever 21 (Similar here)
Handbag: Etienne Aigner (Similar here)